Just some of the plugin advantages:
- No token required. No needs to register an Instagram application.
- Currently it is allowed to get photos by a hashtag or by a username, but if someone asks me, I will add the ability to do it by location.
- No additional JS or CSS files included to your website front-end.
- Plugin CSS is completely in a website
<head>but can be turned off as well.
- 100% responsive widget.
- Instagram response is cached to deliver very fast speed with WordPress transients. But you can disable caching if you don’t need it or change cache period (defaults to 5 hours).
- If you’re wondering how to get images from Instagram using PHP – it is also possible with two ways: with a shortcode or with the help of class methods, described here.
I think WordPress widgets are the simplest way of using this plugin. Depending on your theme, widgets can be displayed in your website sidebar, footer and in fact anywhere else.
To add an Instagram widget to your WordPress website, just go in your admin dashboard to Appearance > Widgets.
If you can not find “Widgets” link it may happen if your WordPress theme doesn’t support widgets. But it is not a problem at all — just use shortcodes instead or you can contact me and I will help you anyway.
You can also set up your website widgets in Theme Customizer, to do so, go to Appearance > Customizer, and when it opens, go to the Widget section, or you can simply click the link Manage with Live Preview.
Shortcode is a small piece of code that allows you to display Instagram photos directly in the content of your posts.
On the same page you can use as much shortcodes as you want!
You do not need additional knowledge — shortcodes are generated automatically with the help of the button in the post editor. All you need to do is just to place the cursor in the place where you want to insert the shortcode and click the button.
You can also do it manually with the following parameters.
[instagram tag="matterhorn" username="" tag="matterhorn" heading="yes" columns="5" count="20"]
- Instagram username, example
- Hashtag, example
matterhorn. Once set, a hashtag feed will be displayed.
- If you want to show or hide the heading of the widget with user counts. When displaying photos by tag it isn’t displayed anyway.
- How much columns with photos in desktop version.
- How much photos would you like to display.
And of course, it is always possible to use shortcodes directly in PHP code using
do_shortcode() function, like this:
echo do_shortcode('[instagram tag="matterhorn" columns="5" count="20"]');
Plugin Options and WordPress Customizer
You can find all the plugin settings in "Settings > Instagram"
The Appearance settings are also available from WordPress Customizer.